Full Job Description
Status: Full time
Reports to: Production Winemaker
We are in search of a strong leader in the role of Assistant Winemaker to direct our cellar, bottling and maintenance teams.
Cline Family Cellars is a leading Sonoma family-owned and operated certified sustainable winery. Built on a passion for winemaking and rooted in respect for the land, Cline is known for producing highly lauded Zinfandels, Rhone-style wines and classic varieties sourced from owned vineyards in Sonoma-Carneros, Petaluma Gap and Oakley, California.
As Assistant Winemaker you will work closely with the Production Winemaker setting up tastings and bench trials, participate in trials. Duties throughout the year will also include working side by side with the Lab Manager to prepare basic blend and addition trials, controlling microbial stability in barrels and tanks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES::
- The successful candidate will have oversight of the work flow through the cellar from fruit intake during harvest through processing to distribution
- Interview and hire new operations staff (coordinate with Winemakers)
- Support the Bottling Line Manager in communication and problem solving
- Direct and track the execution of the maintenance and safety programs
- Develop and maintain, in conjunction with others, a culture that promotes efficient utilization of staff and resources to meet Winemaker’s requirements and ensure production requirements are achieved
- Positively influence the culture of winery operations in line with Company values. Ensure effective intra and inter Departmental communication between all levels of employees
- During harvest winemaking duties will also include assessing fermentations and calculate additions
We are looking for a person who has the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and bond with our established cellar team, apply critical thinking to their tasks and pay attention to detail to build quality into the production process.
This position is fulltime and will require a flexible schedule, including weekends, during the peak harvest season.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Degree in Winemaking/Horticulture/Viticulture/Food-Technology/Science or other related degree with sufficient industry experience
- English fluency and Spanish language skills
- 5 years cellar management experience
- 5 years in supervisory roles
- Mechanical ability including forklift experience
- Equipment experience
- Leadership and Management experience
- Computer skills in Excel, Outlook and Winery Database system
- Wine knowledge and sensory skills
- Able to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds over moderate distances
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, reach, crawl and walk
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs
- Identify and distinguish colors
- Ability to pull or push objects over moderate distances
Cline Cellars provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.