From $18 an hour
Restaurant experience: 2 years (Required)
Certified Sommelier (Required)
Full Job Description
A quick note about us: For over 25 years we have been serving guests local wine country cuisine while growing our customer relationships in our wine merchant in the heart of Santa Barbara wine country. As both a wine store and a restaurant we are in a unique position to educate, share, and expose our wine selection to a vast audience. A recipient of Wine Spectator’s ‘Best of’ award since 2012 (Aka two goblets, aka double gobbler), our Wine Merchant offers approximately 500 selections focusing on the California Central Coast wines, supplemented by benchmark, allocated, and aged selections from throughout the country and world. Our menu highlights our 4-acre organic farm, and the wine list features sustainable producers. A safe and respectful workplace.
The job: Sommelier/Merchant Associate: Mon-Fri, full time. $18-20/hr, plus tips
– Assist guests in the wine shop and on the restaurant floor
– Assist service on the floor: bottle service, polishing, bussing as needed, staff education
– Communicate through email with customers regarding orders
– Assist the merchant operations: intaking wine, keeping shelves stocked and clean. Building, processing, and packing online orders. Signing clients up and assisting in processing quarterly wine club.
3-person team: you, one part-timer, and me. We protect the integrity of the wine program and bring our knowledge and professionalism to the restaurant.
– Access to wine tasting, education, and discounted wines
– Passionate about wine, hospitality, dining, and learning
– Ability to prioritize in busy settings
– Disciplined – Reliable – Self-motivated
– Comfortable communicating with guests and co-workers both verbally and in writing
– Thorough – Punctual – Knowledgeable about Central Coast wines
This is a great opportunity for someone who may want to transition from a tasting room or retail role into Somm’ing. If you are passionate about wine and learning, you can learn how to work the floor and sell wine. For more experienced Somms, this is also a great chance to be exposed to many facets of the wine world; retail, floor service, a wine club, an online store, writing opportunities, social media promotions, winemaker dinners, catering events, etc. My background working in Michelin star and Grand Award programs is in international wines, and I am bringing that balance and sense of place in the greater wine world/inspiration to this program. The focus will always be Central Coast, and we will be experts on that, but there are few other places in the tri-county area that you will get to try as many benchmark international wines. 95% of the wines on the list I taste; you will get many opportunities to join. I. Pull. Corks. Even if it means me spending my own money so we can taste that $150 bottle of Burgundy or vintage Champagne. I am pushing every day to continue and expand the legacy of this wine program. This is an incredibly unique opportunity and just the start of something that is going to be incredibly special. There is room for advancement.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $18.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- 10 hour shift
- Day shift
- Bonus pay
We are adhering to all CDC guidelines. Masks are mandatory indoors and out for all staff and guests and we have implemented extra thorough and regular cleaning of workspaces and common areas.
- Restaurant experience: 2 years (Required)
- Certified Sommelier (Required)
- One location