$23 – $25 an hour
Full Job Description
Set sail with a San Diego original. Our family business, Flagship Cruises & Events, has been serving and entertaining San Diego since 1915. We own and operate San Diego’s largest and finest fleet, ranging from luxury yachts to the Patriot, our 2,800-horsepower jet boat, to the iconic Coronado Ferry. We take great pride in our superior service and staff. We are always on the lookout for great people to add to our team. If you are looking for a unique work environment where you can further develop customer service skills and grow in the maritime industry this may be the opportunity for you.
About the opportunity:
Flagship Cruises & Events is looking for a Sous Chef who must be able to work evenings, weekends and some holidays. Pay is competitive based on experience. Please apply through company’s careers page or to apply in person go to Ticket Booth at 990 N. Harbor Drive, San Diego. Please note that applying in person may result in an immediate interview.
The Sous Chef has responsibility for the day-to-day shift operations in the galley. This position is responsible for ensuring all areas of the galley achieve the highest standard of quality and cleanliness the company is aiming for and to stay in full compliance of company policy and procedures. In the absence of the Executive Chef, or Executive Sous Chef, will be responsible for the entire galley and day-to-day operations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for supervision and administration of the line cooks on a daily basis.
- Partner well with all departments
- Directs food preparation and collaborates with executive chef.
- Helps in the design of food menus.
- Produces high quality plates, including both design and taste.
- Oversees and supervises kitchen staff.
- Assists with menu planning, inventory, and management of supplies.
- Ensures that food is top quality, and that kitchen is in good condition.
- Keeps stations clean and complies with food safety standards.
- Offers suggestions and creative ideas that can improve upon the kitchen’s performance.
- Minimize spoilages and utilize food surplus
- Prepares food properly.
- Schedules staff shifts.
- Trains new employees.
- Orders food supplies.
- Monitors and maintains kitchen equipment.
- Familiarity with proper sanitation procedures and follows all public health requirements
- Solves problems that arise and seizes control of issues in the kitchen
- Maintain compliance with the company grooming and uniform standards
- Additional job duties as assigned
Requirements & Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience in supervision and training of employees
- At least 2 years of banquet experience a plus.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary field strongly desired but not required
- Background in a la carte dining, banquets, or special events.
- Food Handler’s Card is required within 30 days of employment.
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) – if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Knowledge of health sanitation codes
- Must be able to walk or stand for the duration of a shift.
- Flexible availability, including days, nights, weekends, and all major holidays.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical
- Must be able to lift/pull/push 50lbs
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job
- The nature of the work may be strenuous and the work environment may be warm
Flagship Cruises & Events is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, Flagship Cruises & Events participates in the E-Verify.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.00 – $25.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Casual dining restaurant
- Fine dining restaurant
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location
Hiring 1 candidate for this role
Posted 1 day ago