$22.72 an hour
Full Job Description
POSITION TITLE: SOUS CHEF
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE CHEF
Under the direction of the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef, is responsible for supporting all culinary operations including the oversight of the day-to-day kitchen, and restaurant production, operations and sanitation aspects of culinary and stewarding services throughout the facility. This key role will help lead and support kitchen staff in menu preparation and meeting goals in restaurant sales and operations. The position works closely with the Executive Chef and General Manager to ensure overall success of the Culinary Operation.
Ideal candidates are industry professionals who are self motivated and confident, have a proven ability to lead and support staff, are well-versed in restaurant operations, and are willing to bring creative solutions to the table.
WHO WE ARE: Tastes On The Fly started was founded with the opening of two Il Fornario Caffe del Mondos at San Francisco International Airport. The company expanded in the early 2000’s by four restaurant entrepreneurs and, it has grown into of the world’s leading boutique airport dining operators. We provide high-quality, local authentic experiences in an airport setting.
Our Culture and Mission is: “Every team member, everyday” Every guest, every time”. We possess a passion for food & beverage and are Ambassadors to the local food scene. We partner with highly regarded chefs and artisan producers. We provide genuine hospitality vs service.
These are essential functions and the percentages are estimates only.
30% – Working the line: Preparation and plating of all menu items
5% – Cleaning of the line and work areas on a consistent basis and ensuring staff does the same
15% – Preparation of base items, i.e. sauces, portioning goods, ingredient processing, etc.
5% – Conduct regular food safety and sanitation inspections and Workplace Safety Inspections
15% – Expediting food from the front line
5% – Inventory, ordering and stocking of supplies
10% – Training new employees and coaching current staff including sous chefs
5% – Coordination of repair and maintenance
10% – Administrative duties including manager log entries, invoice coding and staff documentation
Willingness and ability to commit the necessary time and effort to achieve operation objectives. Maintain regular and prompt attendance in conformation with company standards and policies. Personnel with irregular attendance may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Consistent time and attendance is essential to the successful operation of the department.
Maintain a professional demeanor with co-workers and guests at all times. Maintain a professional and hygienic appearance at all times. Lead by example setting a high standard for yourself and others.
Due to the seasonal nature of the restaurant industry and limited number of managerial personnel, chefs may be required to work varying schedules to accommodate the business needs of the restaurant.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with the Company’s rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of its business, including but not limited to adherence to the provisions of the Employee Manual, IIPP and Food Safety practices. Employees who violate these rules and regulations may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
Individual must posses the following knowledge, skills and abilities and must be able to demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Basic Math Skills
- Basic computer skills including MS office and internet
- Ability to understand and properly execute recipes
- Ability to perform basic cleaning and sanitation practices
- Ability to handle a knife and other sharp objects with extreme caution and skill
- Ability to handle food safely
- Ability to convert measurements
- Ability to work in a fast paced and stressful environment
- Ability to work as a team player and communicate with co-workers effectively
- Ability to listen to and follow direction
- Must maintain a valid Food Safety Manager Certification (training provided)
- Must maintain Sexual Harassment Training Certification (training provided)
In addition to performing the essential functions, this position may be required to perform any combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function solely at the discretion of the department manager, which may be based upon the particular requirements of that day.
- Deep cleaning duties
- Trash Removal
- Minor off site catering
- Regular meeting attendance
- Any and all other duties asked of you related to the operation of the restaurant
- 2+ years as sous chef in a full service facility or a combination of experience and education that would provide to skills and knowledge needed for the position
- Successfully pass an extensive 10 year criminal background check conducted by the FBI. And SFO SIDA training.
- Successfully pass computerized employment testing and in-person interview
Six months experience as line cook in fast paced high volume environment or promotion from prep cook
- Standing – Regularly
- Walking – Frequently
- Climbing – Rarely
- Sitting – Occasionally
- Stooping/Kneeling – Frequently
- Lift/Carry up to 15 lbs. – Frequently
- Lift/Carry up to 30 lbs. – Frequently
- Lift/Carry up to 50 lbs. – Occasionally
- Push/Pull up to 25 lbs. of exertion – Occasionally
- Push/Pull up to 50 lbs. of exertion – Occasionally
- Work below waist level / bending – Occasionally
- Work at waist to shoulder level – Regularly
- Work above shoulder level – Occasionally
- Turning / twisting – Regularly
- Reaching arms beyond arms length – Frequently
- Grasping / Holding – Regularly
- Speaking (in English) – Regularly
- Hearing (understanding English) – Regularly
- Seeing – Regularly
- Work in confined spaces – Regularly
- Exposure to extreme temperatures – Frequently
- Operate tools and/or machinery – Frequently
- Operate office equipment – Occasionally
- Operate motorized vehicles/equipment – Occasionally
- Work at heights balancing – Rarely
- Use/exposure to hazardous substances – Occasionally
- Work with knives and/or sharp objects – Regularly
Posted 14 days ago